Quotes

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 20 15:30:21 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 01:48, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> David Eppstein wrote:
>
> > In hopes of staving off 20 follow-ups correcting this: it is wrong.
>
> So was your moving the period outside of the quotation marks in "US
> quoting style."  That's just as invalid in the US as it is in the UK.
> It's common in some circles, but not in terms of strict typographical
> correctness.

Actually it is an accepted practice (IIRC, it referred to as "logical
quoting style" as well, but google turned up nothing and I no longer
have my English textbooks ;)  The basic rule is that *if* the
punctuation is part of the quote, it goes inside the quotes, otherwise
it goes outside.

BTW, most of the hits I got on Google regarding different quoting
styles, even on pages *devoted* to style and grammar, summed it up as
"get a life" ;)

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)