Dynamic Dictionary Creation

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Mon Dec 9 00:20:31 EST 2002

Carl Banks <imbosol at vt.edu> wrote:
> Global can mean two things: exists everywhere, or visible everywhere.
> The latter use is more common, I guess.  I thought it was clear from
> the ensuing paragraph that I meant the former.  Sorry.

After puzzling over this, I can only assume that "exists everywhere" is
an eccentric way of saying "exists at all times", even though time and
space don't normally seem to me to be interchangable.  If you intended
some other meaning, I can only ask you to explain it.

Under that assumption, I could agree that unchanging data should
usually be kept around and reused rather than being recalculated, but
not that it is always best to do so.  This is more than a quibble:
there are some quite common cases where this "peculiar" choice seems so
natural that we rarely even think of doing it the other way.  :-)