Python's popularity statistics

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 22:59:00 EST 2002

In message <3DF80544.6C9F70A7 at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> "Aaron K. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > In message <mailman.1039658234.21778.python-list at python.org>, Chad Netzer
> wrote:

> > > The most important step in any statistical analysis (except perhaps
> > > for gross accuracy of the numbers themselves), is interpretation.
> > > Drawing any subjective conclusions from these numbers, such as
> > > "popularity of language", etc. is essentially meaningless.  Others
> > > have already pointed out that "popularity of language" and
> > > "activity of newsgroup" could be inversely correlated, as far as we
> > > know.  Furthermore, we have no knowledge of how on-topic any
> > > specific newsgroup is (not from the raw numbers anyway).
> >
> > Do you really think beta might be more popular than Java?
> > I still contend that in some cloudy way these number directly represent
> usage.
>
> You mean in some cloudy-but-*real* way, right?  ;-)
>
> I appreciate the effort in posting these numbers.  You'd probably
> be better off letting people draw their own conclusions though:
> several of your posts contradict each other, as near as I can
> tell.  Either Python and Clipper are both very popular and
> well-engineered, or the meaning of the statistics is very open
> to wide interpretation.

If you read carefully, you'll find that I said that popularity had nothing to
do with quality of engineering: my quips at perl for example.

Everyone has raised some interesting points, though. ;)

For what's it's worth, here's the data from freshmeat.net about what languages
are used for open source projects. There is a strong correlation between my
initial newsgroup data and these numbers, proving my point.

And again, I used python to sort all this stuff out, very easily ;)

-Aaron.

C 4509
Perl 2354
C++ 1932