Tkinter and wxWindows

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Dec 16 23:30:21 EST 2002

> Laura Creighton wrote:
> >
> > > What are the pluses and minuses of Tkinter and wxWindows for Python GUI's
> ?
> > > --
> >
> > Use Google Groups in comp.lang.python and check out
> > 'Tkinter wxWindows'.  Get ready for a long read.
> >
> > Short version -- wxWindows look more cool.  The program just like a
> > windows app.  This is either very good or very bad, depending on what
> > you think of windows programming.  If you use Tkinter, then what you
> > write will run anywhere.  Not true wxWindows.  I find programming
> > in Tkinter a joy, but then everybody knows I am weird.
> >
> > Laura
>
> I was under the impression that wxWindows runs on pretty much the same platfo
> rms as Python.  No?  And there's a Python extention (wxPython), which is what
>  I really meant to ask about, not wxWindows per se.  Have you used wxPython?
>
> Jive

Yes, and I meant wxPython.  Too much beer and too little sleep.  I
have only used wxPython enough to evaluate it, and when we found out 'does
not run on MAC' we stopped.  Then when efforts around here arose to get
'a more cool gui kit, even if it didn't run on the mac', the client-team
made a proposal to change to pyQt, not wxPython.  I am all for letting
the people use the best tools in the business, and the ones they want
to use (indeed, it is the the constitution of the company, that we do
this -- which is a trick I recommend to people who want to start
companies: put your ethical constraints in a constitution and make it
part of the founding doc.)  So now we use pyQt.  We're happy.  But
the wxPython users are a supremely happy lot as well.  I think you will
have to make the effort to try them both and see.  There is no clear-cut
winner, it depends on your personal taste, and the taste of any others whom
you would like to share your workload with.  Use Tkinter and you get the
Mac people, but you may lose the 'I only use the coolest LOOKING gui crowd'.
Since you mentioned games in some other post, having them around may be
essential, or having the Mac users around may be essential.

> P.s. Sorry about the munged email address.  I've had the same address for abo
> ut eight years, and the amount of spam I receive is pretty staggering.  When
> a deal I'm working on out of Nigeria comes through, I'm going to buy my own I
> SP, but in the meantime...

My sympathies.  I left this posted in the off chance that somebody else
thinks -- 'constitution for companies.  cool idea'.  Because it works.
By the way, if you ever write a Python PEP, do not include your real
address.  Oh do I wish I had known that ....