Thoughts from a newbie

Steve stevesusenet at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 13 16:30:27 EST 2002

I decided to learn Python after comments from people I respect highly
recommended it.

I've been browsing several tutorials, docs, and essays about python.

I feel a bit naked without my ';' and my '{}', but I have to say that
I really love that python uses indentation, as well as line returns
for delimiting code v ersus punctuation markings.

I've read, or tried to read enough sloppy code to appreciate this
feature.

Since indentation is used by most conscientous coders anyway, some use
of punctuation markings becomes superfluous and even a kind of visual
interferance/flak.

In fact, I don't think python takes the idea of enforced
neatness/readability far enough :).

There are two coding habits that I see often that makes code harder to
understand:

1. excessive nesting
2. lines longer then 80 chars

If Guido could find a way for python to force coders not to do those
two things
( and accept it ) it would make python code even more universally easy
to understand.

In regards to #2, I can horizontally scroll my editor, as well as
turning my head, but I find it easier to understand a single statement
if I can see the whole statement at once.

Just a few thoughts from a newbie.

My apologies if it is old news or somehow otherwise irrelevent.

Steve