12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Bradley D. Larson blarson at crary.com
Wed Dec 4 10:04:58 EST 2002

When you are revenue based (both sales and/or support) you must continue to produce
a new version or upgrade regularly to produce revenue and keep your loyal support
paying captives happy. This usually generates at least one "upgrade" (minor
version) every 6 months and a major version upgrade every 12-18 months. Without
this
the revenue stream would come to a screeching halt. On this scedule you will
naturally move up 6 to 7 major versions in a ten year period.

Where revenue is not the driving factor updates are usually better thought out,
better tested major version numbering is used for just that; major version
changes.  I work in IS and see a lot of "major version" changes that do not do
anything more than a few cosmetics and some other minor changes yet the version
jumps a who version.