maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Sun Dec 1 17:12:54 EST 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote:
> That, however, is a further annoyance. Languages which _require_ special
> editors are essentially dead in the marketplace.

Visual Basic?

No, wait, trying to disengage...  Okay, let me expand that.  It's been
years, and was several versions back, but my impression was that VB as
it was generally used would be pretty darned untractable without the
IDE that organized the code - matched the little snippets up with the
widget/messageID that invoked it.  At least the few times I coaxed the
IDE into printing the source code it made a barely-useful mess.

So VB seems to me to, in normal use, require an IDE, and yet it still
seems to be rather alive in the market, no?