12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 5 14:58:52 EST 2002

Greg Ewing fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 04 December 2002
06:03 pm:

> That's still monotonic. ("Monotonic" doesn't mean
> "regular", it just means "always going in the same
> direction".)

        "Monotonic" is, itself, a hard term to pin down... Out of three
dictionaries in my possession, only the OED had any definitions that
were not tied to the literal "single tone". [I would like to state that
one of the other two dictionaries is a 4" thick unabridged, not the
more common "college" editions]

        The OED secondary definition was of a function which neither increased
nor decreased, or if it did increase/decrease, it did so in such a
manner (nothing like a recursive definition) -- which I interpret to
mean no increase/decrease in steps.