python is growing bigger and bigger!

Sébastien SAUVAGE nospam at sebsauvage.net
Thu Dec 19 08:11:54 EST 2002

leeg at techemail.com (bigpython) wrote in message news:<cae47ab4.0212120516.17ef4d70 at posting.google.com>...
> i'd like to use python as a toolkit. but from version 1.52 to 2.22, it
> has become much bigger. why we can't have a thin python, just a core
> program and some basic libraries. frankly, many people don't use such
> libraries now.

If you have distribution in mind, I guess something like py2exe or distutils
will walk the dependency tree and fetch only the required files for your program.
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Next, you can always use McMillan Installer or UPX to reduce the DLL/PYD size.
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html
http://upx.sourceforge.net

Unless you're using wxPython (ouch), this accounts for a less-than-500 kb
'Hello, world !'.