Thoughts from a newbie

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Wed Dec 18 10:10:47 EST 2002

Greg Ewing <see_reply_address at something.invalid> wrote:
> Ben Leslie wrote:
>

>> But who uses proportional fonts for reading or writing code?
>

> Call me perverse, but I always thought Think Pascal
> code looked quite nice in 9-point Geneva.

Me too.  Well, not Pascal exactly, but I used to use a proportional
font with the GUI version of the E editor back in the days when I ran
OS/2.  I think that was when I hacked up a simple text formatter in
Postscript to get printout that was as nice as what I saw on-screen...

> I seem to always use monospaced fonts for Python, however.

These days, yes, everything gets edited in a xterm.  a2ps's printed
formatting is pretty nice, but its choice of fixed pitch for the
language elements and proportional for string literals has always
seemed perverse to me.  :-/