Switch from perl to python?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Dec 14 13:34:13 EST 2002

My opinions

elechak at bigfoot.com (Erik Lechak) wrote previously:
|Where is python's equivalent to CPAN?

There is none.  There are some decent archives, but not with CPAN
automation.  Distutils is good though, so installing is usually
manageable.  And Python comes with quite a bit more "in the box."

|Are there any benchmark comparisons between python and perl?

Lots of them all over the place.  They all contradict each other (as
with other benchmarks about other languages).  Generally Python and Perl
are similar in speed.  I don't think Perl has anything like Pyrex or
Psyco though, both of which are really cool.

|Are python threads fully functional?

More-or-less.  They don't distribute to multiple processors though.

|How active is python development (interpreter, modules)?

Very active.  But the forthcoming release is focused more on stability
than new features.  The Perl 6 imbroglio isn't absent from Python.  Lots
of new modules every day in Python.

|Are pythoners actually interested in the parrot(perl6) interpreter?

Not really.  Some were interested when it started.  And some may become
interested again if there is any real progress on it.  But for now
Parrot is a toy that doesn't do anything, in VERY early alphas.  FWIW,
there was a Python/Parrot compiler that managed almost as trivial a
subset of the language as current Perl/Parrot.

|What are python's shortcomings?

The lack of PyPAN is one.

|Can I distribute a reliable python/GUI application without including
|the source (not interested in obfuscation or source filters)?

You can distribute any Python application as a set of .pyc files rather
than .py files.  However, if you think you'll get any "tamper proof
security" from doing this, you are confused.  Likewise, if you think you
get such security by distributing your C application as .o files, you
are likewise mistaken.  This topic comes up about once a week on the
Python group.

Yours, Lulul...

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_