questions about scope/threading

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Dec 5 23:59:47 EST 2002

In article <asdqs1$1mv$1 at wheel2.two14.net>,  <maney at pobox.com> wrote:
>Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>>
>> gc was just an example.  Try playing with sys._getframe() for another
>> example.  The point is that *ALL* Python objects are by definition bound;
>> if they're not bound, the refcount is zero and the object is deleted.
>
>I no longer recall exactly what the original context was, and don't
>feel it's worth rummaging about on g's groups to find it.  Maybe the
>root of it was that you use 'bound' (here, anyway) in a sense that I
>wouldn't: that's 'referenced', which includes bound as a distinct subset.
>Have I picked up a not so common distinction somewhere along the way?

Generally speaking, in Python a "binding" *is* a reference.  Of course
"bound" gets confusing because it also refers to instance methods.  What
subset of references were you thinking "bound" was?

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com