Switch from perl to python?

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 01:53:31 EST 2002

In message <x7u1hgiq6t.fsf at guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Pekka Niiranen <krissepu at vip.fi> writes:
> > I have done several projects with Python myself and
> > in each eventually faced the same limitation:
> > In order to get the performance, C -extensions were needed.
> > The current libraries are not really comprehensive enough, either.
> >
> > Now that I have gone thru Paul Graham's
> > excellent "ABCI Common LISP" -book
> > I see Lisp code all over in Python's buildin
> > functions and libraries.

> As a final comment, from the LISP perspective there are only two
> classes of scripting language: LISPs, and poorly implemented LISPs
> with studly libraries. Given that, I'll take a LISP with a studly
> library. That it has Python syntax just makes it better.

Amen to that. I have to say that Lisp is really a dead issue. Its beauties are
more theoretical than practical. Python is a multi-paradigm language (Lisp is
in some ways, too) but Python's syntax make imperative and OO style programming
much easier than Lisp. Lisp imperative style looks like shit. And, Python's
functional style is even cleaner than Lisp. Who needs macros? Its all
theoretical computer scientist shit to put up smokescreens to avoid the fact
that Lisp, in spite of its long and religious history is at heart a wash-up on
the programming stage. It appears like an insular community of MIT weenines are
the only perople who care about it full-time anymore.

And, I hate to say it, but parenthesis syntax is at first a turn on, then an
annoying roadblock to results (IMO)

-Aaron.