win32 and Oracle

Andy Todd andy_todd at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 15:45:36 EST 2002

Thomas Guettler <zopestoller at thomas-guettler.de> wrote in message news:<atabea$ad9$01$1 at news.t-online.com>...
> Hi!
>
> I need to access an oracle7 database from win32.
>
> I found the following solutions:
>
> - DCOracle (no binaries for win32)
> - ADO with win32 extensions
> - ODBC with win32 extensions
> - mxODBC
>
> Before wasting my time with a deprecated
> solution, I would like to know what you think.
>
> I tend to mxODBC.
>
> BTW: Is odbc from win32 still supported?
>
> A comparison to mxODBC on:
>   http://www.python.org/windows/win32/odbc.html
>
> would be very good.
> This is the first page listed by google if you
> search for "python odbc"
>
>   thomas

DCOracle2 does have a binary installation for Windows. Its just not to
distutils standards, nor is it immediately obvious. For an explanation
of how to perform the installation look here:
http://www.halfcooked.com/mt/archives/000339.html#000339

The other solution for Oracle clients on Windows that you don't
mention is cx_Oracle. You can get it at
http://www.computronix.com/utilities.

I've used both modules extensively and can vouch for their
completeness and robustness. There are a couple of minor differences,
but nothing to stop them both being eminently usable. I'd suggest you
try them both out before going for a generic solution.

Regards,
Andy