Why does python.org use PHP ?

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Dec 14 11:58:47 EST 2002

> I noticed that some of the pages at python.org where phps.

Where did you find such usage? I couldn't find that being
used, but I did not check everything.

> Why doesn't python.org use python to implement python.org?

But we do. Most pages are generated by ht2html, and there
is a number of Python CGI stuff running, such as python.org/sf,
and http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/, not to mention
Mailman (although this runs on mail.python.org).

> I know from microsoft/asp, sun/jsp there are good reasons for not
> eating one's own dog food.  Both of those companies had perfectly fine
> legacy software doing the job so it didn't make sense for them to
> spend money and effort when they didn't need to.

Probably the same reasons apply to python.org, and more so. There is
no money to spend (or, all monetary contribution for python.org
is for hosting it, kindly done by XS4ALL), and all effort is
volunteer's effort - of which none should be wasted just because
of higher principles.

So if *you* want to contribute to replace PHP on python.org, please
contact webmaster at python.org.

Regards,
Martin