PyOS_InputHook with IDLE/Tkinter

Michiel de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Dec 16 05:51:53 EST 2002

I have been using PyOS_InputHook in a C extension module that does
scientific plotting.  If PyOS_InputHook is set equal to a C function,
it will be called by GNU readline.  Our extension module relies on
PyOS_InputHook in order to update its plots.  Everything works without
problems on Python on Unix.

Now we are trying to port this C extension module to Windows.  Many
people will be using IDLE instead of running Python from the DOS
command prompt.  The problem now is that once IDLE is started,
PyOS_InputHook is no longer being called, and consequently the plots
no longer get updated. Does anybody know why PyOS_InputHook is ignored
once IDLE is started? Is there a way to install a hook in the IDLE
main loop?

Thanks in advance

Michiel de Hoon
University of Tokyo, Human Genome Center