Serial comm. in Windows 95

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Mon Dec 16 15:49:07 EST 2002

Peter Åstrand <peter at cendio.se> writes:

> I need to communicate with a modem from Windows 95 (Swedish version). I've
> tried every package I can find, but without any luck:
>

> 1) In Windows NT, it's possible to do os.open("com2:"). For some reason,
> this does not work in Windows 95: Sometimes I get "no such file or
> directory". (It seems like this happens when cwd is a long directory.)
> Sometimes the open succeeds and I can do os.writes(), but os.read() always
> hangs without returning any data.
>

> 2) When trying Mark Hammonds "Win32 extensions", the import of win32file
> always fails. On one machine we have, the error is:
>
> ImportError: DLL load failed: En enhet som är ansluten till datorn
> fungerar inte.
>
> The last sentence is in Swedish. It means "A device connected to the
> computer does not work".
>
> On another machine, the import fails with an error saying that one
> required DLL file is missing. (It does not say which one.)

There is a dependencywalker tool somehwere on the WEB which allows to
find out which DLL is missing (or which function in which dll).
Maybe you can upgrade IE or download and install some other update
to fulfil these dependencies.

> I've tried both win32all-148 and win32all-150, with Python 2.2.2. I have
> installed all required packages listed on
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/system_requirements.plex.
>

> 3) pyserial and USPP (http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/) is based on
> win32file (se above)
>

> 4) win32comm: I cannot find this package any longer. Some postings are
> referring to http://www.uconect.net/wheineman/python/win32comm.zip, but
> this host does not respond.
>

> 5) Sio Module (http://starship.python.net/crew/roger/). The version for
> Python 2.2 is corrupt. The web page says the .EXE file should be 170,601
> bytes, but after downloading the file, it is 171,184 bytes and package
> refuses to install. Also, I'm not entirely happy with the commercial DLLs
> included in this package.

I tried downloading and installing it, and it worked fine, although on
a win2k machine. The file size of the download was 171184 bytes, however.
You could probably download on another machine, and install 'manually'.

> I'm running out of ideas... I really need to get this to work on Windows
> 95, so upgrading Windows is not an option.

These are my ideas for now.
HTH,

Thomas