opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Sun Dec 29 06:35:47 EST 2002

"Ole Jensen" <ole_jensen at dbmail.dk> wrote:

> INTRODUCTION to my question

Irrelevant, and even misleading:

> - - I have for a long time
> now wanted to learn how to program

HTML is not programming. It's a fairly sure indication that you know
_neither_ markup _nor_ programming if you call HTML authoring
programming.

But your question is actually not about programming and not about HTML.

> I just want click the link and have a
> text editor showing me the code, not the browser as it is now!

Then do so. Use a link as an author, and make use of a link as a user
the way you like. As an author, you cannot control what users do with
your links. In particular, you can't even know that there is a "text
editor" in the user's system.

> Also if it is possible I would like to make annother link that
> opens the same file in a specífic program (which I expect most of
> my viewers to have installed) how can this be done (if possible)

Ditto. You should really check tha FAQ section
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/media.html

> for currious people the (tempory) link is:
> D:\Programmer\frontpage2K\Sites\Learning to program\programs.htm

It's not a link. It's a malformed pseudo-URL that most probably works
on a particular computer of yours only.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/