argv[0] manipulation

P_spam_ at draigBrady.com P_spam_ at draigBrady.com
Wed Dec 11 07:02:52 EST 2002

Hi,

I had the idea to select debugging mode
in my application depending on the contents of argv[0].
The logic was:

   if '/' in argv[0]: #explicit path so debug
       debugging = 1
   else:
       debugging = 0

However this fails in the case where you
invoke a script in the current directory
with the python interpreter explicitly.
So shouldn't python change argv[0] to
'./myscript' instead of 'myscript' in this case:

   python myscript

Usually the current directory is not in the
$PATH for security reasons, so an argv of
'./myscript' is the equivalent of (what you
would need to type to run the script) python myscript.
I don't see this causing a problem (even on
windows ?(which I know nothing about BTW)).

thanks,
Pádraig.