Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

curiousguydIGGNORR@hotmail.com curiousguyd at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 21 17:54:20 EST 2002

"Brett g Porter" <BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<uc-cnbne0MvPE5mjXTWcoA at comcast.com>...
> "Andrew Koenig" <ark at research.att.com> wrote in message
> news:yu99lm2j5tn0.fsf at europa.research.att.com...
> > Andrew> Hey! What's wrong with GOTO ?
> >
> > I would like to urge *everyone* not to discuss this issue any further
> > without first reading Don Knuth's classic paper, ``Structured
> > Programming with _goto_ Statements'' in the December 1974 issue of ACM
> > Computing Surveys.
> >
> Conveniently republished in his 1992 book "Literate Programming" (and many
> other places, no doubt, but the rest of the LP book is also well worth
> reading).

Although I knew of this paper, I'd never read it in it's entirety.
Very interesting.  One quote kind of jumped out at me:

"We will perhaps eventually be
writing only small modules which are iden-
tified by name as they are used to build
larger ones, so that devices like indentation,
rather than delimiters, might become feasible
for expressing local structure in the source
language."

I think this Knuth guy might have been onto something ;-)

A link if you need it:
http://pplab.snu.ac.kr/courses/PL2001/papers/p261-knuth.pdf