Tk/tkinter bug? Underlining top-level menu names

Edward K. Ream edream at tds.net
Thu Dec 5 09:43:29 EST 2002

On XP the underline option does not seem to work when creating a top-level
menu in the menu bar.  For example,

parent.add_cascade(label=label,menu=menu,underline=amp_index)

works for all menu items except top-level menus in the menu bar.

I see this kind of code and the same null result in Idle as well.  Is this a
known bug?  Is so, is it a tkinter or tk bug?  I am using Python 2.2.2 and
Tk 8.3.2.

Note that this is at most a cosmetic bug.  Alt-F opens the File menu, for
example, whether or not an underline option is given to add_cascade.

Thanks.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines