Python vs Java garbage collection?

Isaac To kkto at csis.hku.hk
Mon Dec 23 07:21:22 EST 2002

    >> Hm... what if by that time I have already switched to a completely
    >> different language?

    Erik> What does that have to do with anything?  Maybe the world will end
    Erik> tomorrow.  So what?

Any reasonable person will try to judge how likely different events will
happen in the future, and accordingly try to choose the policy that increase
his expected gain, averaged over near and long terms.  If I judge that
switching from C-Python to JPython is very unlikely to happen to me soon,
that the behaviour of C-Python that I rely on is very unlikely to change
soon, and on the other hand I might switch completely to another language
soon, then I'll definitely not make a policy to make sure code will work in
C-Python and JPython even if the cost for achieving that is high (more
testing, less clean code, more lines of code, etc).  If you cannot change my
expectation of the language or my expectation of whether I'll switch to
another implementation of Python, then your best hope to change my behaviour
is to reduce the cost of having it done "the right way".

Regards,
Isaac.