12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Dec 5 16:30:43 EST 2002

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

>         "Monotonic" is, itself, a hard term to pin down... Out of
> three
> dictionaries in my possession, only the OED had any definitions that
> were not tied to the literal "single tone". [I would like to state
> that
> one of the other two dictionaries is a 4" thick unabridged, not the
> more common "college" editions]

That's because it's a mathematical term, and like most technical terms,
general dictionaries -- even very good ones -- are usually not the best
way to find their definitions.

I'd recomend something like MathWorld as a reference for such terms:

	http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MonotonicSequence.html
	http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MonotonicFunction.html

If something is monotonic, it just means that it either forever
increases or forever decreases.  It doesn't even mean that it does so
without bound; a sequence can be monotic but approach a finite value.

/  \ I get my kicks above the wasteline, sunshine
\__/ The American, _Chess_
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.