Another question about extending Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 13 15:01:02 EST 2002

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Certainly. You just can't use new if you pass the memory to the Python
> runtime, and the Python runtime frees it (there are very few places
> where the runtime frees memory that you have allocated).

I fully admit to knowing nothing about embedding Python, but I would
hope from a library design point of view that this is accomplished with
malloc/free callbacks in the library.  Even not counting the differences
between C and C++, there's a general precept in library design that
he-who-allocated-it-must-also-free-it.

/  \ The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.
\__/ Anne Morrow Lindbergh
    Max Pandaemonium / http://www.maxpandaemonium.com/
 A sampling of Max Pandameonium's music.