Imaplib

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Sat Dec 14 09:44:49 EST 2002

* Duff <bruno.dusausoy at skynet.be> [2002-12-14 15:04 +0100]:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if the responses to imaplib functions are the same for
> every IMAP servers. In other words : is the imaplib module server
> independant ?

No, imaplib doesn't have any compatibility layer, though it's built to
work robustly.

There are a bunch of different IMAP standards, (IMAP4, IMAP4 rev1, and
tons of extensions). You can search the RFC database at
http://rfc-editor.org with the keyword "imap" for the RFC title to see
this.

So it might be that one of your IMAP servers does implement a specific
feature, like "searching", which another doesn't have. OTOH I don't
believe these extensions are exposed via Python's imaplib already.

-- Gerhard