Newbie Using "Programming Python" 1st Ed. Question

mowestusa justnotworking at mail.com
Mon Dec 16 21:07:41 EST 2002

> There are LOTS of good books and tutorials available.
> Tell us more about yourself; do you prefer dead trees
> or on-line tutorials?  Are you headed toward GUIs,
> Web applications, command-line utilities, ...?  Do
> you like algorithms, games, cool programming techniques,
> ...?

I would like to learn more about command-line utilities, that's why I was
interested in chapter 4 and following of "Programming Python."  On-line
tutorials are fine, I've used the one in the ActiveState distribution
"Learning Python for a Beginner."  I found that helpful, but it didn't
really get me to the point where I could produce a program in which I was
interested.  I would like to use Python to edit and manipulate text.  Almost
everything I do for work involves writing, so command-line utilities that
allow me to change or repackage text would be nice.  I've really started to
take interest in manipulating text to put on my Palm or when I take things
off of it.  I would like to learn Python for producing system utilities that
do tasks in Windows that could be automated with the right kind of
command-line utility.  I don't have an interest in learning Linux, just
because programming will always be more of a hobby than something I need to
know for my job.

I would like to use Python for simple Website automation.  I don't plan to
open an on-line store, but if I could use it to automate forms and other
things it would be nice.  I'm a little concerned about even going in this
direction because the client side for Python is weak.  Everyone has
installed the interpreters for VBScript and Javascript on Windows machines,
but not everyone has Python installed especially in the windows world.

My ultimate goal would be to learn Python well enough to create python run
databases that offer the unique structure to hold the unique kinds of data
involved in my profession.  This would involve a GUI, running a rational
database, and so much more that I don't know if I will ever reach that goal.

Short term create command-line tools that would help me do daily tasks
quickly, like HTML edits, uploads, downloads, and other website updates.
Tools that would automate my text editing and offer new tools that I could
use with my Palm and PC.

That is probably more than you wanted to know.  I've been struggling to
learn Python because I'm teaching myself, and I this would be my first
language, so everything is new including OOP and all the other cool stuff
Python does so well, that I don't even understand.

mowestusa