wxPython - PLEASE Help

Donnal Walter donnalcwalter at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 25 00:37:40 EST 2002

"DP" <pennedinil at excite.com> wrote in message
news:6af8e801.0212242056.547c7e67 at posting.google.com...
> Cliff, Donnal & Anton,
>
> thank you very much for your help.
>
> If you have suggestions as to how I might be able to help
> myself next time I'm doing something stupid, please let
> me knkw.

Well, first of all it is no shame to ask for help when you can't see what
you think should be obvious after you have tried your best to find it
yourself. And second, you were already on the right track by writing a
simplified test case. When I have a complicated application that bombs, I
try to compose the simplest program that demonstrates the problem to send to
a mailing list, and nine times out of ten I discover my own problem in the
process. As I said, you were already on the right track; perhaps you just
didn't quite simplify it far enough.

Also, it obviously worked for you to ask your question here on c.l.p, but as
I said above, most of the time you will get a little quicker response from
the wxPython-users group.

Now to your question. With wxPython, I usually edit my code in IDLE and keep
a separate command window open to run the script every time I make (and
save) a change in the code. One can test a lot of possiblities in a short
amount of time this way. While debugging I liberally use print statements. I
also comment/uncomment different lines or blocks of code to see what
happens. And if that doesn't work, I just simplify some more.

As Anton suggested, sometimes I go the other direction. I start with a small
example that I know will work and then add small pieces until I figure out
how to get it to do what I want it to.

Donnal Walter
Arkansas Children's Hospital