Inter-process communication

Irmen de Jong irmen at NOSPAMREMOVETHISxs4all.nl
Thu Aug 1 13:20:34 EDT 2002

Garry Taylor wrote:

> I don't need the applications to return a value, I just need one QT
> app to be able to tell another QT app to do something.

For a pure Python solution have a look at Pyro;  http://pyro.sourceforge.net
I think this will give you the easiest solution. But it only works
in a pure Python system.

If you need to call non-Python programs, you might want to investigate:

- pure TCP/IP or Unix domain socket communication (see socket module)
- XML RPC (see xmlrpclib module)
- SOAP ( see SOAP module from PyGoogle project)
- CORBA ( see www.fnorb.org )
- shared memory ( see the shm module )

Regards,
Irmen de Jong.

PS perhaps QT also provide some form of IPC by itself?