Need help with httplib

Carl Waldbieser waldbie at attglobal.net
Sun Aug 18 03:49:51 EDT 2002

I am trying to create a simple web server that forwards GET, HEAD, and POST
requests to a different server and then sends the response back to the
original client.  I am using the BaseHTTPServer and httplib modules to try
and do this.  I almost have it working correctly except for a problem with
the POST.  The request data is successfully POSTed, but when the (real) web
server responds to my redirecting web server, it sends back a status of 100,
Continue.

I am no HTTP expert, but I tried digging through some RFCs to try and figure
this one out.  As far as I can tell, the web server is not suposed to send
this status back unless I sent an "Expect" request header of "100-continue",
which the client does not send.

If anyone can explain to me what is going on here, I'd appreciate it.

My set-up is as follows:
Everything runs locally on a single Win98 box.
The main web server is PWS (Personal Web Server) on port 80.
The Python redirecting server listens to port 8000.
I point my web browser (IE6.0) at http://localhost:8000/some_local_url.html
and it the redirecter forwards the request to
http://localhost/some_local_url.html.  The response is then returned to the
client.

This works fine for GET.  POST seems to be giving me a problem as it
responds with the 100 status.  Should it be doing this?

Thanks for any help,
Carl Waldbieser
waldbie at attglobal.net

Python code below:
################################
import BaseHTTPServer
import httplib
import socket

g_RemoteServer = "localhost"

class HTTPRedirector(BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
    def do_GET(self):
        srcfile = self.send_headers("GET")
        if srcfile:
            BLOCKSIZE = 8192
            while 1:
                data = srcfile.read(BLOCKSIZE)
                if not data:
                    break
                self.wfile.write(data)
            srcfile.close()
    def do_POST(self):
        srcfile = self.send_headers("POST")
        if srcfile:
            BLOCKSIZE = 8192
            while 1:
                data = srcfile.read(BLOCKSIZE)
                if not data:
                    break
                self.wfile.write(data)
            srcfile.close()
    def do_HEAD(self):
        srcfile = self.send_headers("HEAD")
        if srcfile:
            srcfile.close()
    def send_headers(self, request):
        print "Client request version: %s" % self.request_version
        try:
            conn = httplib.HTTPConnection(g_RemoteServer)
        except httplib.HTTPException:
            print "HTTP error-- cannot connect to %s." % g_RemoteServer
            return
        conn.connect()
        conn.putrequest(request, self.path)
        print "--Client Headers--"
        for header, val in self.headers.items():
            conn.putheader(header, val)
            if header.lower() == "content-length":
                size = int(val)
            print "%s : %s" % (header, val)
        conn.endheaders()
        if request == "POST":
            data = self.rfile.read(size)
            conn.send(data)
            print "Sent %d bytes of data." % len(data)
            print data
        response = conn.getresponse()
        self.send_response(response.status, response.reason)
        print "Response status: %s, reason: %s" % (response.status,
response.reason)
        print "--Response Headers--"
        for header in response.msg.headers:
            pos = header.find(":")
            self.send_header(header[:pos], header[pos+1:-1])
            print "%s : %s" %(header[:pos], header[pos+1:-1])
        self.end_headers()
        if response.status == 200:
            return response

if __name__ == "__main__":
    print "Redirecting HTTP requests to", g_RemoteServer
    BaseHTTPServer.test(HTTPRedirector)