Standalone ZPT?

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Tue Aug 20 21:10:54 EDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:51 am, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Some time passed since that last got asked here. Is there such a thing
> available now? I couldn't find anything at
>
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/FrontPage
>
> Are there any other Python templating systems that work like ZPT (i. e.
> use attributes instead of custom tags)?

This comes up a bit on the zope and zpt mailing lists. I've recently looked
into it myself. The results of my efforts are at:

   http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zpt/2002-August/003670.html

It's definitely possible to do, with a fairly minor amount of work (I can
supply my MultiMapping and ComputedAttribute modules if you like).

The trickiness comes in when you want to use this stuff in a system that also
runs Zope. It has its own copy of the PageTemplates/TAL/ZTUtils modules. It'd
be messy if you installed them in site-packages too :) I'm looking at using
them in Roundup, and if I do, I'll be renaming modules so they can't clash
with Zope's modules (because we do also use Zope).

    Richard