Lisp to Python translation criticism?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Aug 17 02:12:15 EDT 2002

"John E. Barham" wrote:

> I'm using qmail myself.  Its "every email is a file" maildir format
> shines
> here since you don't have to mess around parsing mbox files.

Even with the old mbox format, Python's mailbox module makes processing
that a cinch.

> Paul Graham also suggests having "Delete" and "Delete as Spam"
> commands to
> help in classification.

Right.  If you're putting together the mailreader yourself -- I take it
that as part of your email service you'll have some sort of Web-based
mailreader -- then embedding this classification system is much more
doable.  For people who are already using stock mailreaders,
particularly remotely via POP or IMAP (so the place where the
mailreading is taking place isn't even necessarily the same _machine_ as
where it is being processed and filtered), things get more awkward.

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.