Generators: Historical Note

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Aug 22 00:53:56 EDT 2002

We are in the process of cleaning out 25 years of accumulation from our
attic.  In doing so, I've found some wonderful old gems that mean more to
me now than they did at the time.

One example is an issue of the ACM's SIGPLAN Notices from 1979.  The issue
contains an article from Ralph Griswold (creator of SNOBOL) describing his
brand new creation, Icon.  One of the things he was really proud of was the
introduction of generators.  In fact, there are a number of things in his
description of Icon that have found their way into Python.

Now, I certainly didn't think that generators were a brand-new idea, but I
was a bit surprised to find them mentioned as far back as 1979.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.