problem : test a type

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 25 20:24:02 EDT 2002

polux wrote:

> I'd like to test if an item in dir(math) is a function, but it doesn't
> work :
>

>  >>> import math
>  >>> math.cos
> <built-in function cos>
>  >>> math.cos==<built-in function cos>
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>  >>> math.cos=='built-in function cos'
> 0
>  >>>

> I've tried with "type", it doens't work better
> the only way I found to do this is to use srt(math.item) and then test
>
> Can I do it differently ?

You could use isinstance:

 >>> import types
 >>> def f(x): return 2*x

 >>> isinstance(f, types.FunctionType)
1

...but you're probably better off using the built-in callable() function, that
matches not just functions, but also methods and other callable objects:

 >>> callable(f)
1

HTH,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)