stdio EOF ?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Aug 9 15:25:03 EDT 2002

Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> Using "for line is stdin: ..." works if all the commands are in a file
> and I do
>
>   cat command_file | filter.py | etc
>
> but in the "cat | filter.py" situation, it doesn't produce any output
> until C-d is sent.
>
> I guess I'm looking for a "while something(stdin)" or "while
> stdin.something" construct ...

The standard idiom for this is:

	while 1:
	   line = file.readline()
	   if not line:
	      break

The .readline method of a file object returns a complete line (including
the trailing newline), or an empty string in the case of EOF.

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.