Could Python supplant Java?

d2002xx d2002xx at myrealbox.com
Sat Aug 24 01:11:59 EDT 2002

* Grant Wagner <gwagner at agricoreunited.com> wrote:
> Dan Johnson wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > > yeah, but they dont come with windows. so that story is out the
> > > window (pun intended :-) ... the reason that other systems are
> > > MORE developer friendly, is because they COME with most of what a
> > > developer needs to develop. windows comes with NOTHING that a
> > > developer needs in order to develop, which is why I consider it to
> > > be the *least* friendly to developers.
> >
> > I think unilaterally excluding everything that doesn't
> > come on the OS CD is a little harsh. Development, somehow,
> > still gets done on Windows. Perhaps other developers don't
> > feel obliged to stick to what came with the OS?
>
> And it's odd that you'd consider vi and gcc to be "more developer
> friendly", than running, say, Eclipse and Sun's JDK, or Squeak, both
> freely downloadable for Windows.

No vi, it is too poor, but vim is pretty good and efficient. Though some
guys are not smart enouigh to see this.

> > [snip]
> > > so, can you answer this question:
> > > Which is the only system to come without a *SINGLE* development
> > > tool ?
> > >
> > > <insert drumroll here>
> > > and the answer IS ______________
> >
> > Windows comes with a few simple tools, like
> > Windows Scripting Host and a couple of languages
> > for it.
> >
> > That's not *much*, but it's something.
> >
> > You're overplaying your hand. Yes, typical Linux
> > distros do come with gcc, make, and an IDE or
> > something like it.
> >
> > Indeed, they also often come with thing like a
> > spreadsheet.
> >
> > Linux just bundles more stuff at a lower price. That's
> > a legitimate advantage, but it isn't *everything*.

"linux" is only a kernel... hmmm... a old flame on GNU/Linux vs linux...
But... no! not just lower price, in fact, it may not be lower, it's all
about "freedom"! freedom! only freedom!

> Besides, if Windows came with a C# compiler and "VS.NET Lite" (or
> something), someone (Sun) would complain that Microsoft is using it's
> monopoly power to drive other solution vendors out of business, and
> they'd want Microsoft to separate the language compiler and IDE from
> the OS... oh wait a minute, it already is...

No, if they release their source code, licensed under something like
GPL, no one would complain it. (I still won't use it though)

However, there are many companies do the same as M$, but they're not
huge enough to "attract" this kind of complain.