Could Python supplant Java?

d2002xx d2002xx at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 21 23:01:15 EDT 2002

> Um... Visual Studio 6? Visual Studio .NET for .NET. Much more
> consistency than the thousand or so editors on *nix.

Surely there are some excellent editors/IDEs on windows, but not VS.
And "consistency"? Hmmm... can you use Visual Studio without buying
3rd-party plugins on these languages: Eiffel, Ocaml/SML, Modula-2/3,
Lisp/Scheme, Python, Perl, Ruby, Tcl, VHDL, M4, AWK, Dylan, Rexx,
Oberon/Pascal/Component-Pascal, Objective-C? I guess you never heard
most of them, right?

> I've heard the horror stories of vi, emacs, IDEs, etc all trying
> to cooperate. I know many companies using VS to integrate and
> collaborate and it works very well, especially with integrated
> VSS support.

They can easily integrate their products with emacs, just need to
learn a bit of emacs-lisp (it's very easy, though looks strange for
C/C++/Java developers). And vim, there already are built-in support to
several scripting languages (no disabled VB though).

> Seems like you really don't know what you're talking about.

It's better than somebody that always assumes that others don't know
what they're talking about.