Leo should support unicode

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 1 13:29:55 EDT 2002

"Edward K. Ream" <edream at tds.net> writes:

> I'm willing to have Leo support unicode better if you are willing to help me
> do it :-)  I don't mean coding, I just mean letting me know what Leo needs
> to do better.  Can you say exactly how Leo fails with respect to unicode?

That's easy to say: It should allow to enter non-ASCII characters.

If I open an empty document, and replace the text "Headline" with
"Hädline" (I do so by typing the ä key on my keyboard), leo will save
a document that reads

When I read this document back in, I get

u'H\xe4dline'

as the headline field - when I had expected to get back my original
text. I think leo should detect non-ASCII strings (Tkinter will report
Unicode objects), and encode them as UTF-8 in the XML file.

If you have problems entering funny characters, I recommend to use
charmap.exe on Windows, selecting the Lucida Sans font. That should
allow you to put arbitrary characters into the clipboard, then paste
them into LEO.

Regards,
Martin