Graham's spam filter

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Thu Aug 22 23:54:33 EDT 2002

Quoth Paul Rubin <phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com>:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at acm.org> writes:
>> > You can't skip base64-encoded stuff since a lot of it is spam.  You
>> > have to decode it and filter it.
>>
>> Ah, but the fact that there's a chunk of base64-encoded material is a
>> piece of data.  Create a 'base64' element, and count it.  Works like a
>> charm.  (Throw it away, and you're left with little more than header
>> data, which is also Statistically Highly Significant, which _also_
>> works like a charm.)
>>
>> There's lots about this that _isn't_ intuitively obvious unless you
>> think very carefully about the math...
>
> I don't understand this.  If you can classify spam based on just the
> headers, there'd be no point to filtering the content, so we
> wouldn't be talking about text corpi.  You have to filter on content
> as well.
>
> And if you're going to filter content, you have to realize some
> messages will be base64-encoded, and of those base64 messages, some
> will be spam and others will be non-spam.  The idea of a spam filter
> is to figure out which are which.  It can't do that without decoding
> and examining them.

Killer question: Do you get non-spam where the content is all
base64-encoded?

The only mail _I_ get like that is when my brother is emailing out
baby pictures, and guess what?  The presence of headers that have
Dave's "fingerprints" all over them is enough to indicate that it's
"good mail," from him.

And I also have a folder full of "virus" messages, mostly
base64-encoded, and it classifies _very_ nicely based on there being
headers, possibly some MIME information, and essentially _nothing_ in
the body that gets kept.

Remember, the hope is that a message consisting of nothing more than
the following should be identified as spam: