Using smtplib login with esmtp

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 2 04:02:26 EDT 2002

Gerhard Haering <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> writes:

> The PBF could then use the release22-maint branch as a basis for 2.2.2, and
> include additonal changes or drop patches that went into the maintenance
> branch, as they feel appropriate.
>
> Or is there a misunderstanding on my part?

That is still the case. I, personally, will be much more hesitant to
backport patches now that the PBF is there, and that people from the
"business camp" indicated that they don't want to see changes to
Python 2.2 unless those changes fix real bugs, have no chance to break
existing applications, and definitely do not introduce new features.

To me, this means that support for new authentication procedures in
smtplib cannot be backported, since it is a new feature, and has the
potential of breaking existing applications.

Regards,
Martin