cpython-java binding (SHOULD Python supplant Java) ?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Mon Aug 26 08:18:07 EDT 2002

d2002xx wrote:
> * Gerhard Häring <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> wrote:
>> d2002xx wrote in comp.lang.python:
>> > Jython is too slow and incomplete
>> Actually tried it or just making random guesses?
>
> Yes I tried. Very slow starting-up time (common problem in java) and
> its benchmark result is three time slower than cpython.

That very much depends on the application. Jython can sometimes be even
faster than CPython, especially for meaningless benchmarks <0.5 wink>:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/7017/2001/5/0/5834964/

> I don't want to see it anymore...

I'm currently writing an app that works on CPython (+ DCOracle2 +
mxDateTime) as well as Jython (+ zxJDBC +zxDateTime). I currently need lots
of workarounds for zxDateTime (will perhaps try to enhance it later and
submit a few patches), but it works very fine so far. Performance of Jython
is also fine, of course there _is_ more startup overhead.

> Hey! Why set its followup to "poster"? A trick?

Netiquette - http://advisor.uchicago.edu/docs/general/g_news-eti.html

"""
* Be concise
  * Reply to other posters via mail, unless you know you have something to
    contribute that others will appreciate. Read others' followups before
    you mail or post a response.
"""

Usenet isn't a chat room, that's what #python is for :-)