python slowdown after a longish time of running (garbage collector)

Thomas Jensen spam at ob_scure.dk
Fri Aug 30 21:31:27 EDT 2002

Michal Vitecek wrote:
>  okay, thank you. it'll be pretty hard to describe it so much in detail,
>  but here it goes:
>
>     - the server waits on named socket and accepts clients' requests via
>       via stream where each command is a cPickled tuple (command,
>       commandData,)

Do you close the sockets manually or rely on the GC?
I had a similiar problem recently when stress-testing a web-application.
The GC apparently never got around to collecting the sockets, which
resultet in lots of open sockets.
I don't even know if the GC is supposed to handle sockets, but why not?
Anyway, explicitly .close()'ing the sockets is probably always a good idea.

--
Best Regards
Thomas Jensen