global interpreter lock not working as it should

Armin Steinhoff a-steinhoff at web.de
Fri Aug 2 11:05:38 EDT 2002

anton wilson <anton.wilson at camotion.com> wrote in message
[ clip ..]

> Maybe I am not being clear enough. I am concerned with a multi-threaded
> program that does not do any form of blocking on a Linux/Unix box. I DO
> expect a thread to block on the GIL every 10 byte codes. However, I have
> proved with my results that this does NOT happen. Any thread that is
> completely CPU bound will never give up the CPU for as long as
> 1) it can run
> 2) it has work to do
>
> I have proven this by even examining what happens within the interpreter
> with
this code in ceval:

>                                 oldt = tstate;    /*<---- My code*/
>
>                                 if (PyThreadState Swap(NULL) != tstate)
>                                   Py FatalError("ceval: tstate mix-
up");
>                                 PyThread release lock(interpreter lock);
>
>                                 /* Other threads may run now */
>                                 /*sched yield();*/

I see your point. The release_lock / acquire_lock make only sense if
the threads have different priorities. But all Python threads have by
default the same priority ... so it makes absolutely sense to include
the sched_yield for a fair scheduling.

Without the sched_yield ... a Python thread can catch the CPU for
ever. (if not preempted by a task with a higher prio)

Well .. the threads don't care about the comment
         /* other threads may run now */
in eval.c  :-)

Armin