Could Python supplant Java?

Dan Johnson danieljohnson at vzavenue.net
Thu Aug 22 17:24:14 EDT 2002

"d2002xx" <d2002xx at myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:20020822174056.529082d7.d2002xx at myrealbox.com...
> > You just haven't worked on many different kinds of systems.
>
> But you didn't answer about rebuilding the kernel, or you just can't
> answer?

You can't do that without paying Microsoft a whole lot
of money.

But then again, you really shouldn't have to. If
kernel hacking is required as a normal development
practice, something is deeply wrong.

[snip]
> > > no. I'm still using VC5.something at home for windows work,
> > > and I am STILL using gcc 2.95.something at home for all other
> > > work ... no need to patch them, they work just fine ...
> >
> > Then what's the problem with needing a compile server to make sure
> > everyone's using the same version? ;-)
>
> Why everyone's using the same version? It's just nonsense.

There is something to be said for keeping all developers
on the same version of the tools; in particular differences
in the libraries, header files, and so on can be quite obnoxious,
if you let them get out of sync.

Though I'd be surprised if running everyone on
terminal services was a common solution to this-
surely it's far simpler to just have the same tools
installed on all the developer machines in a team,
and upgrade them together.

You don't have to do it perfectly. You just
have to keep things from getting completely
out of control.

> > > not in itself, no, but the system HAS to come with something.
> >
> > Windows Scripting Language. The .NET compiler.
>
> Shipped with Windows?

Two scripting languages are. The .NET compilers are not,
and probably will never be. The C# compiler and the C++
compiler are both free downloads, I believe. I don't think
the VB compiler is.

[snip]
> > Why would "make" come with Windows when it comes with every compiler
> > that needs something like Make? Most languages don't need Make, so
> > what's the point?
>
> Most *languages* don't need, but most *programs* need because they are
> mostly written in C/C++.

I think you may find you are mistaken on this point;
while it is undoubtable true that most Linux programs
are written that way, Visual Basic is depressingly common
on Windows.

[snip]