Are most programmers male?

Opus opus at value.net
Mon Aug 12 05:08:13 EDT 2002

Or quite the opposite.  I have found that the ones that don't
document their code are the more social engineers.  They tend to be
the ones there for the 9-5 job.  Documentation takes time that they
are not willing to put into it.  The hermit engineer might not
document the code for different reasons, but, I bet you that there is

at least a smattering of lighter documentation scattered through it
so that the idea of the solution is easier to read.

The 9-5ers also tend to not test their code that well before passing
it off either to testers, or to production.  They are either throwing

to together so that they can hang outside and smoke, or what ever, or

they realized that it needs to be done before they go home.  Either
way, the result is the same.

As to the possibility of the hermit engineer solving the wrong
problem.  That too is true.  A manager worth their weight in salt
will be able to make sure that the problem is communicated properly.

And the wrong problem might actually be what had to be fixed, so more

work was done to fix a deeper, bigger problem that the symptoms could

only be seen.

On 12 Aug 2002 at 10:24, Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

> "Dilton McGowan II" <diltonm at pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:HtB59.4145$KD.151944380 at newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
> >You need the hermit engineer to actually
> > build the core product or service.
>
> Like the plague, you do ;-)
>
> Ever tried debugging (the heresy of it!) or to document & test said hermits
> code?

Most of the hermits know how to test their code.  A few even know how

to speak, you should try being nice to one sometime and learn
something.

> The objective of software development is not merely to produce code, it is
> to solve problems. The users problems, not the organisations - having to
> mediate for someone with the combined social skills of a decaying moose
> carcasse and an alligator on speed will make life harder than it needs to
> be!

But that decaying moose might just be unique in the organisation in
that it knows the whole system.  How many engineers know the workings

of the whole system in a large one?

> --

--Opus--

Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.
                            - T.S. Eliot

Get added to my Humor list:
mailto:opus at value.net?subject=ADD_HUMOR
Get added to my Neat list: