Are most programmers male?

Matt Traction2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 13:21:40 EDT 2002

<triva>
First person to write software for a programmable machine with a separate
store was Ada Lovelace (yes, she's the one that the programming language is
named after).  During WWII when programming meant "plug these 100s of wires
into these 100s of holes", most of that work was done by women too. Though I
suppose the design was someone elses - that would make these women more like
sysadmins.
Ellen Spertus did a great analysis of women in computing back when I was in
school - still worth a read even though its not being updated.
http://www.mills.edu/ACAD_INFO/MCS/SPERTUS/Gender/gender.html
</trivia>

Matt

news:UhbsIfc7QJX9EwkU at hiredata.gol.com...