Lists and Indices

Lindstrom Greg - glinds Greg.Lindstrom at acxiom.com
Thu Aug 8 13:41:47 EDT 2002

Hi,

I would like to write out the (not necessarily unique) contents of a list
with corresponding index numbers. Suppose I have

colors = ['red', 'green', 'blue', 'red']

and I want to see

1.  red
2.  green
3.  blue
4.  red

I currently use

index=1
for color in colors:
    print '%d.  %s' % (index, color)
    index += 1

but that does not seem pretty to me; I don't like the "extra" lines for the
index variable.   I could do

for index in range(len(colors)):
	print '%d.  %s' % ( index, colors[index])

but I don't like that..it's not easily readable, IMHO.

If the entries were unique, I believe this would be easy, but how can I do
it with non-unique entries?

Thanks

Greg Lindstrom
Acxiom Corporation,                    mail: CWY10011149
InfoBase Products Development                  office: (501) 342-1626
301 Industrial Blvd, Conway, AR, 72032     fax:     (501) 336-3911
email: Greg.Lindstrom at acxiom.com

We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals. -- Quarry
Worker's Creed

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.