Whitelist/verification spam filters

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Aug 27 20:34:06 EDT 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I don't like the whitelist approach and don't plan to use it, but one
> important feature many whitelist programs have is: as soon as the
> whitelist user sends out an email, the recipient's address is
> automatically whitelisted.  So if you write someone and they reply
> from the address you wrote them at, their reply won't bounce.

That's true, and I'm certainly aware of it (I talked about it in an
earlier message), but it has troubles when people have multiple email
addresses (which is happening more and more often), and it doesn't help
at all when the email you are receiving is strangers legitimately
contacting you about your services (as in the examples I gave above).

If you live in a tight little world with only a few email contacts and
don't need or want people contacting you out of the blue, then it's a
much more promising solution.

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.