stdio EOF ?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 07:12:18 EDT 2002

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote in
news:tyfd6sn85mt.fsf at pcitapi22.cern.ch:

>> The standard idiom for this is:
>>
>>      while 1:
>>         line = file.readline()
>>         if not line:
>>            break
>>
>> The .readline method of a file object returns a complete line (including
>> the trailing newline), or an empty string in the case of EOF.
>
> ... unfortunately empty lines are meaningful in the relevant context
> (separation of datasets); an empty line has a meaning different from
> that of EOF (no more datasets after this one).

I think you misunderstood the bit about empty lines. The when the file
contains a line that is otherwise blank, the value returned is a string
containing the newline character. You only get an empty value returned at
the end of the file.

It does indeed appear that the buffering breaks the 'for var in fileobject'
idiom when the fileobject is an interactive stream. You should use the
while loop as above.

If you don't like having to strip all the newlines from each line, then an
alternative is to write a generator to do it for you:

from __future__ import generators
import sys

def filelines(f):
    while 1: