(slightly OT): Python and linux - very cool

GeneralPF GeneralPF at nitrogen.ertw.com
Thu Aug 1 21:24:03 EDT 2002

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:07:09 -0000, TuxTrax assert()ed:
> as for the NNTP module: I just couldn't get over how easy it was to
> access NNTP with python. When I was learning visual basic, this would
> have been a nightmare, and only for the advanced necromancer. As I
> said; it couldn't have been done at all with the $100.00 version of VB
> 6.0 (learning edition) I had (yes I paid for it),  because microsoft
> didn't include the neccessary libraries for socket
> implementations. They wanted you to upgrade to the ($400.00?)
> developer version for that.

Now, I don't like VB, but there are lots of 3rd-party components you can
buy to do easy NNTP stuff in VB.  Same as SMTP, POP, IMAP, HTTP, FTP, etc.

Also, buying a "better" version of Visual Basic won't get you NNTP.

BTW, you can access the Windows Sockets API from Visual Basic.  I
wouldn't advise it, though.  *That* is for the necromancers.  :)

Just curious: did you do any Perl before you started with Python?