Better solution

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 20 17:23:31 EDT 2002

holger krekel wrote:
> Michael Hudson wrote:

>>>why the '[:]'?
>>>
>>>doesn't seem to make any difference here unless
>>>filter is allowed to return the same lst-object.
>>
>>It depends whether you want to change the acutal list object or merely
>>have 'lst' refer to a changed list.  Bo was using .pop in his
>>question, so it's possible he wanted the former.
>

> Aehem. i must be missing something obvious.
>
> Yes, append/sort/pop and friends are inplace-methods.
>
> But isn't
>
>     filter(None,lst)
>
> supposed to return a new list?

Yes, it does return a new list, but the lst[:] syntax replaces the contents of
the existing list object with those of the new one (as returned by filter).
This is different from lst = filter(...) where you rebind the name 'lst' to the
new list object returned by filter.

 >>> a = [1, 2, 3]
 >>> id(a)
9492200
 >>> b = [4, 5, 6]
 >>> id(b)
9546888  # different list, different id
 >>> a[:] = b
 >>> a
[4, 5, 6] # new contents, but...
 >>> id(a)
9492200   # still the same id! ^_^
 >>> a = b
 >>> a
[4, 5, 6]
 >>> id(a)
9546888  # now it has the same id as b

HTH,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)